All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948 by Walid Khalidi
The culmination of nearly six years of research by more than thirty participants, this authoritative reference work describes in detail the more than 400 Palestinian villages that were destroyed or depopulated during the 1948 war. Going beyond the scope of previously published accounts, All That Remains has relied extensively on field research to pinpoint the precise location of village sites through former residents and guides. The body of the text is devoted to the villages themselves; each village entry comprises statistical data and several narrative sections. These last include a section on the village before 1948 summarizing its history from a wide variety of Arab and Western sources and synthesizing information about the villages topography, architecture, institutions, and economic activity. Village entries also include a section, based on Israeli as well as Arab accounts, focusing on the military operations that led to the conquest of the village. Finally, entries contain a description of the current status of the site, including post-1948 Israeli settlements established on confiscated village lands. Several hundred photographs, a number of informative maps, and five valuable appendices enhance the text.
Share this item: